Sunday 26 April 2015

Nepal

Some of us have heard about the 7.9 richter scale earthquake that just hit Nepal. Such devastation. Been contacting and hearing news all night from most friends in the area and surrounding regions/countries. Still waiting to hear from 2 volunteering in the Himalayas areas....

Please pray for the people, and the country, and the helpers, now and in the future. There are also many organisations well set-up to respond and/or bring aid to this crisis you can donate to. 




Within all of this current event, I am praying for all, responding, and reflecting on self "what if" scenarios.... 

If I left Hawaii in February/March after graduating from discipleship school, I would definitely have been at the Everest Base Camp (EBC), or on route in to/out of it. April is the start of peak summer season for it. I was also going to stay and volunteer in Nepal at least until June. Today, I could have been physically safe, hurt or dead in Nepal. Not glamourising it, but this thought was more real than imagining myself being run over by a truck or dying from sickness here in Big Island (Hawaii).

I was determined to finally climb to base camp or higher. I was tired of only talking about this dream - Everest I and Everest II. It is one of my three biggest dreams. My personality was NOT the type to NOT pursue what I had set my eyes on. As I stumbled responsibly through life and goals, I've always been more of a doer than a talker.

I decided now was the time to do it, before I started raising financial support for my longterm mission, so my stewardship/accountability will be above reproach. Instead this became part of my obedience call, to put this plan down and not leave Kona. So I stayed, til May when my visa expires. This meant it won't be until end of May or June before I could realistically get to Nepal. The EBC hike season would be closed from June due to extreme weather, until December - the winter hiking season. I pictured putting this plan aside again for another two loooong years.

I pray pleasing God will now always be my priority. He knew I always struggled to let go of achievable favourite pursuits. They're temptations always being dangled in front of my addiction. That's why Everest has played several roles in my spiritual growths. During weak times I've reasoned to God surely the faithful journeys and spiritual growth could also happen there for me, along with His other faithful children serving in that region. I could have been there helping right now! I was also saddened that I missed out on being there before the Dharahara Tower and other landmarks were completely destroyed. Sickening selfish thoughts considering how many people are still under those rubbles!!! How helpful could I really have been if I was trapped in the mountains or in the ruined cities...??.... :-(

I pray strength, courage, resilience, wisdom, comfort, help and rest for all involved in this tragedy.


My motivation to be in Nepal has always been more self-oriented. At the back of my head, I hear God saying once I've realigned my motivation to focus on Him with this, He will send me there and experience more than I can imagine. I tried to pretend it will be more God-centred, with mission trips and such. But truthfully, I couldn't fool God. I smile painfully here, because I know He knows me so well and He knows my heart is not yet right.

Yet despite the emotional conflicts I go through; I understand and believe, and have faith in what I know; enough to make this choice and take His paths. I know the Everest blessing I will receive in the future will bring awesome yet short-lived lifetime happiness only. Minute in comparison to the eternal joy I am given.

In prayers/thoughts, I keep singing and declaring this from the song "In Christ Alone". At peace with my future in His hands, whichever location I am placed. Willing and hopeful for God to mould me to be more like Him, Christ-like. Thankful for His grace.

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From a lifes first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Could ever pluck me from His hand
Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand


"KATHMANDU (Reuters) - An Indian army mountaineering team found 18 bodies on Mount Everest on Saturday, an army spokesman said, after a huge earthquake in Nepal unleashed an avalanche on the mountain at the start of the main climbing season.
Nepal's Tourism Ministry could only confirm 10 deaths, but spokesman Gyanendra Shrestha said that the death toll could rise, and that the avalanche had buried part of the base camp. He said two tents at the camp had been filled with the injured."

No comments:

Post a Comment