Tuesday 7 April 2015

Fortune and Flower

Had a laugh with my room mates reading funny cookie messages. The lady at the restaurant gave me extras specifically to share with them after I organised lunch for another group. We don't believe in the "fortune" that came with the cookies, but it was fun to laugh about them.

Mine was the only one with a romance message. We joked about it too, yet seriously, that topic was something I really walk in faith with God. I have given it to God with a loose grip, open handed. Romance possibilities were not lacking, but they weren't aligned to what I pray for - "a godly man, who is loving, faithful and obedient to God, with a mission focus". I pray for my husband now. I would love to find out he is already praying for me too!

I don't feel fortunate having (had) more than one to choose from. I'm glad to be appreciated so much that they want to marry me, but though highly tempted, I have faith in the values and reasons for my decision not to. Still, though they are not a good match (incompatibility mostly because of faith, or the fact that I am a "sent" missionary), I make sure I honour them still. They are good people, some I'm still friends with if they honour my honesty in my choice.

I don't want many suitors. I quietly enjoyed it when I was younger, constant ego boosts, but not now. I just want the right one. With a man who sees how God is transforming me, likes it, and wants to be part of it, to take an active role in loving me up in Christ too. And ditto of course. I know we are both not perfect, that's why I look forward to us supporting, encouraging, committing and holding each other up through our journeys. Everything else are cultural, even affected by our fears of opinions of others (and worse, of self!). Those I break down to values that are most important to me, freeing myself of nonsense as much as possible (e.g. education, finance, age, culture, experience, location, etc). Everyone else I declare purity and brotherhood in relationship on. It is too much of an unfortunate loss if opposite genders cannot be friends just because (non)romance issues gets in the way.

Most important is to talk or get to know first though. It's amazing how many people still don't know how to do this without pressure or confusion! Push aside the romantic away as long as possible. Intimacy in relationship is built in friendship first.

...Thankful for the flower last week too. A friend let me handpick one from a display that was no longer needed. I kinda forgot how it was like to be gifted or to buy flowers lately.... 
smile emoticon



"I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys.
HE:
As a lily among brambles, so is my love among the young women.

SHE:
As an apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my beloved among the young men. With great delight I sat in his shadow, and his fruit was sweet to my taste."

(Song of Solomon 2:1-3 ESV)



"...My beloved is mine, and I am his; he grazes among the lilies. Until the day breathes and the shadows flee, turn, my beloved, be like a gazelle or a young stag on cleft mountains."

(Song of Solomon 2:16-17 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment