Thursday 8 May 2014

Writer and Astronaut versus Pirate

I completed an online survey last night for fun which pinpointed the career that would suit me after only ten multiple-choices questions (if only life was that easy hahah!). It confirmed that I should be a writer (ahem, blogger?). It was nice to see, however less-skilled at it (which could be improved) I felt, even not talented (but courageous hahah, ack!)....

I did the survey again today out of curiosity. To see if answering one question differently would change the outcome. I should be an astronaut!

I smiled quietly as a writer... I laughed out loud as an astronaut.

I agree that I have both strongly in me. Circumstances and choices encouraged one path more than the other, and made my current career different. Actually... maybe not so different(!?!)... hhmmm.

It showed what we (should) already know - that we are boundless and cannot be boxed, if we are passionate about what we do! Be encouraged! :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++

Encouraging friends told me I could be both (and more). I joked about my choice to become either an Astronaut Writer, or a Pirate Writer. I considered both professions amazingly cool, leftovers from my childhood imaginations and wonderment! :-))

An adult but not serious conversation arose with a friend, whom kindly advised me to not admit to liking piracy, because it is outside of the law. We laughed childishly about it, as we also conversed seriously about our choices and free will, as we both knew we were capable of taking our topics there and pick each other's brains.

As we were growing up we were always presented with at least two opposing alternatives. Irrespective of whether we found those situations to be challenges (some view as negative, others the opposite); or as adventures (some view as positive, others the opposite); our end-decisions for those situations always either took us within the acceptance of our community, or without.

We stay inside the laws of the land, or become outlaws.

We choose to be pillars of the community, or pillagers.

Astronaut or Pirate.

Dashing names for what we already are.

Both role models in their own right....

... We love the fact that we have the freedom and the right to do everything we want to do. We even fight and kill for those rights. We even fight and kill against those rights.

... These bible verses will bring me to my point:
"I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but I will not be mastered by anything.- 1 Corinthians 6:12 (NIV) -
 "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. - 1 Corinthians 10:23 (NIV) -
Nobody should seek only for his own good, but also the good of others.... Now, I know this could be practised by both the pirate and the astronaut in us, depending on which character you decided would control you. But there is where the distinction lies, which one does your choices feed and encourages?


1 comment: