Monday 12 May 2014

Mommy's Little Girl

She chose to wait at least half an hour for seats at the brunch establishment that looked hip cool; in lieu of the more upmarket restaurant next door with empty seats. I promised her both places served delicious dishes. Go figure.

She was distracted. Having fun, posing for the camera she brought with her, fully charged. I played along. Took several shots, directed her poses and expressions. Half an hour passed snap!

She packed away her camera, rummaged in her bag. A little girl close-by loudly called out, "Mommy!". She replied, "Oh?!", as if she meant, "Yes, I'm here, what's up?".

I watched the milliseconds when her face changed, realising it wasn't her own child calling her. It wasn't me that called out. She thought I didn't hear her, didn't see me watching.

She brushed it aside. Not a big deal. I smiled.


++++++++++++++


I was sweet sixteen. Mommy and I were in a big department store. Several aisles separated us, interested in different things.

I heard her calling me singsong-ly, "Baby.... Baby.... Baby... Baby...". My nickname. The youngest within her clan.

I followed her voice, summoned by the music. I skipped along, then turned to the aisle where she stood facing the side where I popped out. There were three other random people with her.

Mommy was looking straight at me. The three however, two mature ladies and a senior man, looked more towards the ground. I recalled they all smiled, expectantly.

I stopped in my tracks, and saw all three of them raise their heads in unison - from my feet to my face. They all stared... confused... surprised! Then just as quickly, they started looking at other things and walked away. I stood there realising mommy called out so sweetly, they expected a very little girl who was as cute as a "Temple-button" to show up!

They, were disappointed. I smiled.



1 comment:

  1. Very nice !!! Will surprise u all if god's plan push thru.. .next year !!! Achie

    ReplyDelete