Monday 13 June 2011

"Woza"

It is a word from one of the many dialects in South Africa. According to singer Vusi Mahlasela, it means, "come... celebrate (through song and dance)".

I think I was in Sandton, during the FIFA World Cup. It was a chilly but sunny day. I was munching on Nando's chicken at an outdoors dine-in area, with bread, bag of chips (not french fries) and more peri-peri sauce on the side. I loved Nando’s chicken there, the best tasting I’ve ever eaten! I was told it originated from there and I believe it. Nom nom! :-)

I heard this song play from inside the restaurant. I did not understand but I listened. I started feeling happy, and enjoyed my space. For one or two minutes, I left my surroundings, my thoughts, all my cares/pains, and relaxed. It was just me and the song. Afterwards, I asked the staff for the singer’s name and song title. Today was the first time I searched for it - “Vusi Woza”. I was surprised to find out woza means "come" or “celebrate" ... coz that was exactly how I felt the first time I heard it. I was momentarily happy... alone (in my head)....

It wasn’t the song that gave me understanding. But it became a reminder of the time I made a truthful decision and I "celebrated" my decision with the song.

It was in South Africa where I realised (twice) that I had done enough. I figured if all my strong actions and good intentions still did not produce a good/desired outcome, it meant the other person did not feel I deserved it; or did not value it as much as I did; or was not ready; or did not want the same things. So I was compelled to accept these points of views. It seemed the wiser and better decisions were to let go - to not chase it... and to not fight for it - by ending it. I trusted that if things/people were/are meant to be in our lives, they will find their way back (with a little leap of faith), in different ways and in different forms.

I could not regret, only sadness, because I knew I really tried. Or relief, because time proved I made the best decision. For my part, I did enough. :-) 

* This blog was also inspired by my friend E, who wrote in his update today, "how do you know if something is worth fighting for?".... It also got me thinking of the end result. If it is not clear or simple, when, and how, do you know if you should continue or stop? How much do you put on the line?... There are some things we do, not because we know we will win it, but because we have to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment