Saturday 4 June 2011

Great Friendships Online

Four years ago, finally free to pursue my dream to travel I made a decision to fly eastward, and headed to the right ==> of the world map. This meant my journey started by going to USA. I had 2 friends in the West Coast and family in the East Coast. It was perfect as my girl friend was planning a road trip with her family, and she kindly invited me to join them. She was my second stop (I will write a blog about them later). My first stop was my guy friend.
What NO ONE knew was that I met this guy friend online. I cannot remember now how, hahahah, but we struck a conversation and became really good friends. We got to know each other and kept in touch for at least one year. He was, and still is, the only person I befriended online.
I was so comfortable with him that I decided to include him in my journey. And I was glad I did. He is still a great friend. And we are still mostly online friends, hahahah, but we rang each other out-of-the-blue at times just to keep in touch.
Reminiscing, I smiled while I shook my head in disbelief. What was I thinking!!?? Travelling across the world, by plane, bus then train, to visit a stranger! What was he thinking!??! Inviting me into his home! What were we thinking??!! Either of us could have ended up a headcase! Hahahah!!
I can’t remember how long I stayed with him – 5 days? One week? It was a great trip. He is a top bloke. It was great to get to know him even better in person. He let me in into his life and he showed me the wonder of his part of the world. He is lucky to be living in such a beautiful and peaceful place. His friends were great too, “Popeye, Olive and kids”. They were just as beautiful and kind-hearted people. With kids who melted my heart many times with their sweetness and personalities.
Maybe one day I will get another chance to visit them, or vice versa. I would love that! :-) And maybe then I will get a chance to taste Olive’s famous pumpkin pie!!? It’s been 4 years and I am still wondering…!! :-)
… I think I’m known for letting random friendships happen. I wish more people do it, open up more and see where the experiences takes them. I have many great stories because of it. Our “online” friendship, will always be one of those I will appreciate.
A success story! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment