Sunday 13 October 2013

Fifteen Minutes

I bought a guitar this weekend.

I've been pushing learning how to play properly, FOR YEARS, because of the following:
  • Several months ago I returned the guitar a colleague lent me while I was immobile coz of my ankle, coz I couldn't get it to tune properly; and she left my organisation.
  • I waited for a friend to lend me his guitar, but I never got it despite many reminders.
  • I decided it would be much cheaper to buy one overseas and learn while I am there for 5-6 months. I did not want to waste the money.
  • I didn't want to commit to purchasing one now when I don't know what kind of guitar I would like.
  • I couldn't get a friend to go to the music store with me to purchase one for moral support.
  • It would take a long time for me to learn, with the difficulty of switching master hand (from being left-handed learning to play with my right). So I wanted to focus on it fully, when I have more time.
  • Later, not at the moment. Just because....

Petty (unreasonable) reasons, EXCUSES really, which I allowed myself to believe as strong arguments to NOT DO what I dreamed of doing, to NOT DO what I really wanted to do.

Then someone planted an understanding in my head. Reasonable and achievable. To practice and play, just a few chords, daily, or during down times, for fifteen minutes, or half an hour, just while lost in my thoughts even.

FIFTEEN MINUTES! Surely I can spare that!?


From that thought, all other excuses no longer held.
  • Don't have one, and/or waiting for friend to lend me one? Buy my own!
  • I can buy it next year? I said the same two years ago, and even now I'm struggling to work out how I could carry it around with me and bring it back home after. Time to JUST COMMIT.
  • Too expensive? Stupid excuse when I lately (not last year) I started spending more money eating out. I was investing on spending time with my relationships/friends; but not on myself.
  • I can't (and/or don't want to) carry it with me from home to where I am going next year!!? Then leave it here at home. Buy a cheaper one to use next year and give it away.
  • I couldn't get someone to go to the store to help me choose? Sometimes, I just have to be a big girl and hold my own hand.... :-//
  • It would take a long time to learn (might as well give up now)?! Noooo :-((( .... Too sad to accept I didn't even try.... :-((( .... 15 minutes, start with 15 minutes.

Thankful for the seed of inspiration :-)))).

So I decided to be "selfish". Or...

I acknowledged that I created a huge(!!!) challenge/hurdle where really there was NONE.

We do this all the time. On many indecisions.

But this time, I ended one.

Meet Jack, my new companion and friend. :-)


Two days into it and my left fingers are already moving (slightly) better along the frets.... woohoo!! :-)))

*******************************

Related funny short story :-).

While having a meal and drinks together, I excitedly told my friend about my new guitar, and plans to practice at least 15 minutes a day, or even 5 minutes, where I can, whenever I can.

Friend: Fifteen minutes!!? You don't have fifteen minutes!
Me: What do you mean?
Friend: You're too busy....
Me: I can make intentional time for it.
Friend: When!?
Me: (Looking at my friend seriously) I can spend fifteen minutes less with you now.
Friend: OH! Can't have that....
Me: *Smiled quietly, resumed eating, friend changed topic...* :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jack,
    thank you for coming to Rachelles life.
    Im pretty sure you two will get along well.
    There will be up and down (strings) between you two, but I'm confident that Rachelle will always holds you up and keeps you in hands reach.
    So Jack, don't be afraid to voice up sometimes but most importantly at the end you two will be in tune...♥ :-)
    Love and miss you two already
    K.

    ReplyDelete