Saturday 16 August 2014

First Multi-Day Hike

Two stories - biblical perspectives then practical lessons. Feel free to read either or both. Photos were taken by my travel companions.

I recently completed my first multi-day hike. My experiences in the past were luxurious camping; and a failed group overnight hike that was cut short due to poor preparation. I never thought I would do a hike where I had to carry a week of needs on my shoulders. No sherpa, no tour operator, no shower, no food drops or catering! Our provisions and supplies were only what we packed with us! It seemed "hard-core"!

Oh, I forgot to mention it was also in the MIDDLE of WINTER... ;-)





BIBLICAL

The extreme adventurer in me could not wait to go despite being new and ill-prepared, keen to crash-learn, and comfortable to rely on my companions' winter hiking experience. But a lot happened in the past year which made me keep in check my abilities and motivations. I was scared that I would injure my ankle for the third time and postpone again(!!) my trip to go overseas! I was also unfit and physically weak from a health issue that was still unstable.

I decided (and prayed) unless I had a confirmation from God, I was NOT GOING TO DO IT!! That was a definite change of behaviour. I used to just do what I liked. It was how I achieved many goals. This decision was painful, because I knew I would definitely regret not going, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make and live with. I also knew God knows my passions and pursuits, my personality. So in His care, I trusted that God's plans were sovereign and most important, and my other passions will follow.

God knew I like confirmations coming from other people. Because I still question how I understand His messages for me, aware of my strong self-centredness, only more understanding and willing to do His promptings mostly if they were for others.

I don't tell anyone when and what I seriously pray for. In this instance, the answer came to me, then from my mentor, and while with my mentee, three days apart.... When I read the passage I prayed back saying, I heard it but I also knew I read the chapter it came come monthly. So I explained I may have pulled it out of memory to suit my needs.... While I was discipling, my mentor rang and quoted the same verse for me. I must stress here she rang me only occasionally, when she felt prompted. I laughed joyfully, explaining God gave me the same verse! It was the second time it happened between us :-)!! She admitted worrying about giving them to me because she knew how much of a risk-taker I am, but she responded obediently. She groaned when I told her what it related to and told me to be careful. I reassured her that I was going to take it as a confirmation; but still I wouldn't do anything (too) foolish, and will not go if it was going to jeopardise my overseas training. I shared the story to my mentee as she overheard my conversation, then the verse came out again while I was mentoring her and explaining prayers (if it was God-centred, versus self-centred) and answered prayers. It was a great testimony for my mentee to witness, praise the Lord!

... It was also the verse that kept me strong during the hike when the going got very very tough. Daily I thanked and praised God whom made me well and strong to actually do the hike. I knew He was with me, because from day one I knew I wasn't health-strong enough for it. My ankle became second priority to my health. I used all surges of energy that came to me. I was surprised! A bit/lot proud!!

My real strength came from real dependence on Him. My companions said I powered through (for us), when it was toughest, like when we walked through the rainstorm and floods. Like a child fully depending on Him, I had fun in the worst weather, being a duck, trudged through the puddles and floods. Immersed in God's wonderful creation, I enjoyed it in all forms/conditions! The spiritual lessons continued - using stars, mountains and valleys, forest and trees, and the different weather conditions faced. I smiled as I read my daily devotion/verses, each connected to what I perused in my mind earlier. :-)

I also met another Christian whom shared his faith with me, and his profession/knowledge. During the hike was the only place where it made sense for us to meet and talk (ahem, not romantically, hahah). I was sure we met for a reason (for myself or another Rach, in the next 5 years) - time will tell this one. :-)

The confirming verse was:
"When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble." (Proverbs 4:11 NIV)


PRACTICAL

My group hiked over 90 kilometres in the space of 7 days (initially planned a longer 8 day hike but the storm made us rush through and cut off side trips planned for the last 2 days). We walked through rain, sleet, ice, snow, leeches, rocks, slush, mud, et cetera. I ascended and descended for an average of 7 hours each day (including side trips), with a backpack and water/windproof gear on that weighed never less than of 15 kilogram. My wet clothing and drinking water added weight, so although I consumed about 400 grams of food daily from my total of 18 kilogram of gear,  my backpack did not feel much lighter.




Here's a list of what I learned and important lessons.

1. PREPARE well!!! I spent time to learn about correct gear, packing, weather conditions, first aid and food to bring. It was a serious hike. Not only did I have to contend with the challenge of carrying a heavy pack and walking for hours, already a great feat, but also had to factor in the danger of hiking in extreme winter weather.

2. WALKING POLES were life-saving for me. I was super glad I invested in them. Countless times each day I tripped, jumped, climbed and walked awkwardly along paths that were uneven or slushy or slippery, etc. I would have surely injured my weaker ankle on the first day without the poles.

3. Freezer bag meals! I only added hot water to all my breakfasts and dinners. I ate off the biodegradable and resealable bags so I only needed to wash my cutleries and sometimes my mug. I liked that I did not leave any (or left the littlest) trace of my foods down the drain. It was my effort to protect the national park. My meals were also labelled which was good when I was too tired to think.

4. Meals were measured for highest calories for least weight. I avoided instant noodles, instead opted for flavoured couscous and powdered mash potatoes, with tuna or dried meat like salami and chorizo. For breakfast I mixed powdered milk, nuts and muesli - surprisingly delicious so I looked forward to eating them in the morning. For lunch I ate ONE wrap with too much salmon, pate or cheese dips. Next time, I will pack TWO wraps for each lunch.




5. I was 1-2 days short of snacks, had to ration less the last 3 days to make sure I had enough variety chocolate bars, dried fruit slices and some nuts. I did not go hungry, but I could have eaten twice as much snacks each day. I underestimated protein bars. I was not a fan of eating nuts for snacks, best mixed with breakfasts or dinners.

6. Sachets of drinks like hot chocolate, tea and soups were nice for quiet celebratory drinks. The soups helped to add more "oomph" to my dinners. I did not go hungry (I even put on 2 kilograms during the hike!) but I could have eaten more for sure! I had no leftovers!

7. I packed 2 sets of walking thermals. For a week, with baby wipes and clean sleeping clothes, I could have survived with just one thermal pants and long-sleeve shirt. I brought 2 just in case one got wet. Both got wet in the end, but it did not matter I wore wet thermals while walking.

8. Invest in good winter hiking socks that would keep toes warm despite the socks being drenched with water.




9. Moist (not wet) gear could be dried by putting them inside the sleeping bag overnight. Body heat helped to dry my gloves, beanie and sweaty hiking clothes.

10. Biodegradable toothpaste - I forgot to consider it.

11. Don't walk on your knees and hands when climbing the highest summit covered in snow. ;-) I was very scared, freezing fingers, ready to give up! But I learned to "pack in ice" while walking upright, with a group that adopted my team to join their summit climb. They also gave me confidence to push ahead. 

12. Remember to keep the group together. It is not an individual race. Reduce the risk. Watch over each other. Enjoy! :-)










2 comments:

  1. That's quite an adventure Rachelle, and you walked/climbed on so well! Thanks sa pag share :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Freda! Let me know when you've also trekked this one!! ;-)

      Delete