Friday 1 March 2013

Divided(?)

It was the toughest 3 weeks - personally and professionally.

I should have posted my story when I was really divided, going through the final battles in my mind. Now that I know my decision, with both my heart and mind agreeing, to share this story in hindsight feels a bit of an anti-climax.

The division was in my confusion in whether to stay in my current perfect-enough and comfort-guaranteed lifestyle, with awesome financial and job security (aka "set for life"), while living in a country/state where life truly is beautiful, safe, pampered and relaxed... or... to give up all that, and all that I worked for and most of the luxuries I enjoyed, to step forward to a life of (financial, etc) insecurity and not knowing where I will be heading/leading. VERY tough choice, for one reason only - money.

Except for money and my work (which I not only love/d, but also guaranteed a nice cashflow) I did not fear letting go of the rest. My faith in God, knowing the world is beautiful, and my street-smart are enough for those. I even know God will provide me all that I need, and more! I do not doubt it, really. But to let go, to really let go of my work=money, in thought and in action, I could not do it. I was so surprised because I always thought money was not important to me. But I was so used to having control over it, I could not hand over control of it to God.

(For more than a year, my family, friends and) I tried to reason with myself. I tried be logical and rational. I did not make any rushed decision. I wrestled with the stupidity of giving up my work, especially when so many people would love to trade places with me. I reasoned once I quit, I will never be able to afford the luxury of exploring, adventuring and travelling the WORLD(!!), as this "Everest" post revealed. I told myself I was being irresponsible and careless. I should be saving for my retirement. I will be the laughing stock of my colleagues whom would hear in less than 10 years that I am back after my mid-life crisis, an old maid and poor. Those thoughts are for later blogs, ack! ;-)

The main reason work was the hardest to let go (and #2 of the two reasons I went back), was because I thought if I stayed til mid-this-year, I would earn an extra AUD$17K. For someone heading out without a "job", that amount would be great pocket money! I could give it to my nieces and nephews! Or my friends expecting their first child! Or to pay for a discipleship training course I wanted to do. Or to invest into a local community project.... So much money. Large enough that I could even spend/give comfortably to all five I mentioned above! Surely for me to leave earlier without the cash is much more selfish(?), I told myself.

I tried to be strategic about the whole thing. I thought I managed to organised time nicely so that I could go on another exploration trip this half-year, without needing to quit until next year, giving me a chance to "test the waters" first, in case I changed my mind (whew!).... Letting my colleagues assume I had another wonderful holiday.

Professionally, I admitted to my supervisor my plans to go away for half a year, and the motivation behind it. He's been great and supportive I felt it was best to keep him informed even though plans were not concrete. I also could not lie to him. Personally, my ankle injury is still a medium-term problem. Going to work five days a week is physically and emotionally tiring. It will take months to heal. It is also affecting my work because I am doing lighter duties and I am slower. The strain of my sick leaves and medical appointments (and my past approved recreational leaves); plus office politics, are showing in the way I am being viewed and treated this year.

I have, a few but very influential, colleagues whom built themselves up by dissing everyone else down to the manager - surprise surprise *sarcasm*. I never played the "schoolyard" politics at work. I won't start now. Bless my supervisor, he is caught in between due to his friendship and decades-plus time of serving with them. I requested for him to speak up for me more, because he knows my performance and those colleagues have been proven to not give me credit for the work/help I have completed. He advised me to do what the pack are doing, build myself up to our manager myself, even though he didn't like this practise because the others were going over his head. I was bamboozled by the statement against my performance, being told I have to "win the manager's respect". I recently won a state excellence award(!) where the Minister congratulated my team personally (the pack mentioned above not part of it)!! How quickly people forget.... My ego was slapped. :-/ However, while quickly praying for us when my peace was rattled, my peace came back. The problems were still there, but how I reacted to it, was being lead by how I believed God wanted me to.

Then, this week, I was told the $17K I expected this year, may not be mine until June next year.

I went through a few minutes of mentally chasing after the money. I felt like I was owed it. I deserved it. So I should get it, even if I have to wait for it another year.... But such soliloquy no longer had conviction. Amazingly! Truly! I was shocked, asking myself several times if I was sure!!??! :-) I felt a much stronger peace in knowing I no longer really cared for the money. My focus and order of priorities has changed. I am still trying to be strategic in how I can still be rewarded the money. If possible, why not, for the long service I have performed. But if I am prompted to leave now, I would discard the money chase, and go. I am as sure of this as sunrise and sunset. No longer divided.

Of course, time will tell, if I could really leave without it. If I will be asked to let go of it (all). At the moment I am only verbalising. For now God has prompted me to sit still, as in I am not going anywhere yet. I am still preparing for the journey/s. I still don't know where I am heading. I'm still learning to walk (hopefully wisely) between the natural and spiritual. I am still trying to understand spiritual warfare and learning discernment (God's will versus my will). But I am waiting to heed.

7 comments:

  1. So you had been arse kicked in business. The biggest mobber wins, the weakest bosses smile, teammates demand full support but address you being unable to deliver ... yep, it's not all loving heart that smiles the sharks smile. Welcome to the real world.

    But: NEVER EVER BY NI CIRCUMSTANCE QUIT A JOB BEFORE HAVING SIGNED THE NEXT ONE.

    The Lutherans have a nice figure of speach: "Help yourself and God will help you."
    Leaning back and expecting miracles is bloody stupid. Eating shit and working on other options is far more productive. By own experience i can tell you, there is no greater fun than adressing to stupid managers that you just signed your next job and therefore quit. I had seen faces going pale. Sweet revenge!!!

    ~Ulrich

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, please don't misunderstand. Don't let the action of a handful colour the greatness of the group/organisation. I have a great workplace, with great colleagues. Of course not all are easy to get along with, varied work styles and personalities, with different agendas and objectives to meet. But knowing them from the inside, I feel safe and glad that most of them are in their roles.

    I already signed up for another "job", this blog relates to a part of that transition....

    I am not interested in revenge, and the focus is not on helping myself.... But you speak of conventional views and mainstream mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uli don't always be so negative...be more positive.
    If you would be a manager would you be different?  

    Rachelle congratulations for signing to the new job/assignment..was a big decision I assume.
    It's always difficult to leave ones comfort zone, but then we should ask ourselves if we don't leave our comfort zone does it mean that we give less?
    Do we give more when we are struggling?
    I'm not really an expert here, but I don't think that God wants us to struggle!?

    -Kham (Das Wort zum Sonntag)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If i recall correctly, you told us already at the very first pick nick, what kind of next "job" is in your mind.

    Just one last comment before it's Good Bye and Good Luck: First you have to help yourself before you can help others.

    ~ Ulrich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kham, thanks. It feels mostly easy than hard. But always have to check motivations etc. Great questions. I would like to tackle those issues along with 20-50 other topics, but time is restrictive. One day hopefully, but here's a quick try, from my experiences and understanding.... The giving part can be separated from struggle issues. It shouldn't be an indicator of how well, how much, to where, and to whom we give. My post "servant" tackles one layer of it.... With regards struggling you hit a great point, where I would love to discuss how I see the difference between self-induced struggle and God-induced struggle.

    Uli, I understand what you mean. Yet, how much of helping self is ENOUGH before helping others can be done? How much of your SELF do you give? Is there only one way to do it? Should it be in percentages 50/50, or 40/60 or 70/30? Kham's questions comes in the middle of all these too, plus heaps more like our willingness and our limitations. I guess we will see as we take on various roles and our lives moves on, transforms and progresses.

    Thanks for the support and prayers, including those whom expressed their reservations/disagreements/concerns, all very valid points. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh, i totally relate. wishing you serenity as you go through these difficult decision making processes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you G. I read some of those tough experiences and changes you went (and are going) through. Wishing you strength, courage, wisdom and serenity too xx.

      Delete