Tuesday 25 September 2012

Will and Testament

Today I signed and finalised my official will and testament. The first of possibly many, as my life stages evolve, and more or less may need consideration. I wrote a basic one about a decade ago, but I'm not sure if it would have held out in court, it was more a list, hahahah.

I had all the paperwork last month, but I kept pushing to work on it aside (until after my forthcoming trip). My tax return (which I was/am also delaying) was a higher priority. A good friend/blessing/confidante stressed my need to have one. He took the time to explain the legalities, and made it so easy for me to create the documents (he made it actually, I only had to read and approve it). He and another signed it as witnesses. Then it was done!

A lot of people don't have a will, especially an official one - written with lots of legal jargon and all pages signed with two witnesses. It felt really good and grown up to have one. It was satisfying to take responsibility of these confronting issues. But it was uncomfortable because it brought to the forefront of my mind the thought of my death. It made my head spin (figuratively speaking) to make plans for it.

Morbid stories were shared, with humour and reality. A story of an elderly whom have already chosen the clothes to be buried in. People whom already bought themselves burial plots (prime real estate, hahahah, ugh) and paid for their funeral costs and know which songs should be played!

I was asked how I would like my lifeless body to be dealt with. I decided I wanted to be cremated (Hhhmmm, I just remembered my brother passed away 3 years ago this week, the timing of this blog for my family may not be the best, sorry...). My family reside in various countries. If they wanted to keep a "piece" of me close by, they are welcome to separate my ashes. I like the idea of friends/family taking small bags of my ashes with them too, for them to keep or scatter wherever they feel like - at sea, in plants, on clouds, buried, at home, some place, etc. It sits well with the adventurer in me! :-) If someone decided to flush me down the toilet, that would still be fine, it is the person's way of saying goodbye (I would always be in their business, hahahah ugh sorry, one of the toilet humour shared).

I was also asked about organ donation (not part of my will). I will leave the decision to my family. I don't mind, but I do not feel at ease with the idea of being part of such a "list" while I am still living. In case a battle ensues on whether to keep me alive, for example between my family and my partner's family, or between my family, I request a concensus vote. The main executor of my will can (if willing) be the uneven count to make sure a decision will be made, but to vote the same time as everyone else so no one hopefully will know who voted a certain way. If two families are in conflict, the same system applies. Both sides with equal number, plus the main executor of my will (if willing). If one side has too many members, all their names should be placed in a covered bucket, and those names picked first by the other group (until they represent the same numbers as the other family) will have a vote. If it still comes to a standstill, please work it out. Remember I love a well-lived life, I will hold on to living for as long as I could, and while I am here I will always love you in words and actions, but I am not afraid to die and finally be with God.

Blessings and peace to all. :-)




2 comments:

  1. Hey Rachelle. I've been meaning to this too! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flashed down joke ;-)
    - Ulrich

    ReplyDelete