Sunday 30 September 2012

Taxes


Benjamin Franklin said, "The only things certain in life are death and taxes."

Tonight I filled in my tax return alone. This is not exciting news, but it was in my mental list of "things to do NOW(!)" since August! I was very relieved to no longer carry the thought around. I am glad that my actions showed maturity and responsible time-planning I did it with 12 days to go before I travel, instead of pushing it aside until the last few frantic days. After my trip would have been too late.

I am also pleased enough to self-congratulate because dealing with cashflow/numbers/finances is really hard for me, uuuggh. That's why I dragged forever to do it. I forced myself to be interested because I must, I don't want to be clueless about it, but I do not have the heart for it. I used to pay people to handle them for me. It is fine of course, experts such as accountants are there to help us, but mine had not been giving me good advice.

I have a friend whom will look at my paperwork prior to lodgement, as it is my first time to tackle it without him. I should make this blog about him. I am lucky because since I came back home and him being aware of my future plans, he checks up on me to see where I could be improved or needed help. He is the same man whom prepared my will and testament. We've known each other more than a decade and I've never lied to him. We may have kept some information from each other while we were dealing with them (life), but eventually we've spoken openly about them - quite openly, honestly and humorously . He is one of my confidant. He appreciates my effort to LEARN, and he encourages me, being one of the handful of people preparing me for the lifestyle changes I will (possibly) be going through. I'm grateful to have friends like him whom PROACTIVELY keeps me responsible, hahahah.

It's true, practise does make financial management easier. It is not about being too focused on gaining money (keeping it all for ourselves and our security). It can be about being aware of where I stand, and using the time and money available effectively. Having knowledge of my financial status and the policies that affects my investments arms me with intelligent questions to ask my financial planner. I cannot say I make good or right decisions - whether I get it "right" will be subject to opinions. But at least I know it is, or will be, suitable for my "free-spirited" future ♥.



No comments:

Post a Comment