Monday 5 September 2011

A Child's Compliments

I was at the summit, resting for a few minutes before starting another downhill challenge on my snowboard. Behind me to my left I heard an older man and a young girl talking. I caught a glimpse of them as I turned to put on my board - the man held the child’s hand as they slowly skied down. The little girl looked barely 4 years old, so cute, wearing a pink coat. I didn’t listen to their conversation, but I caught the part where the man said, “it is, very good of you to notice”. I looked up to make sure I wasn’t in their way. The little girl looked back, waved at me and calmly said, “I really like you’re jacket”. I realised she mentioned my jacket to the older man earlier and she made sure I knew she liked it. I smiled and thanked her, her compliment expressed so sweetly it made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Some of my friends got off the chairlift, so I waited for them. We took photos and played with a video camera while snowboarding. Halfway down the mountain, I boarded down slowly as I practiced my switch moves. I ended up in front of the little girl and her carer again. I passed by them a couple of times earlier too. The little girl recognised me (or my gold jacket) and beamed a HUGE smile at me! Then she said, “I saw you go down, you look so good… and you’re jacket is so pretty…. It looks beautiful on you”. Aaaahhh, bless her sweet heart! :-)

Kids! I love how they freely say what’s on their minds. I love how they are a source where pure and simple compliments come from, and expressing these compliments come out naturally to them.

The little girl reminded me of me. And I quickly prayed (or wished) that she does not lose that quality, even if it places her in awkward moments as an adult. As an adult, when I saw something I liked, I was most likely to tell about it, even to strangers. I try to be aware to not overdo my expression of compliments, but sometimes, like the child, “it” just captivates me that I end up telling the person/s several times.

I knew from past experiences lots of people do not feel comfortable (nor do not like) receiving generous amounts of compliments. I had on many occasions inadvertently made people feel awkward of my lavish praises. Continuous compliments from a child is viewed as adorable. But from an adult like me, they could be uncomfortable if not creepy, ugh hahahah. I understood - if the older man complimented me continuously instead of the child, I would have been thankful, but I would also have felt awkward. But I would not have thought negatively of it – I would have been grateful he took the time to do so when he didn’t need to. I know giving a compliment could be as embarrassing as we never know how it will be received.

During those awkward/funny times, I’ve learned to just shrug my shoulder and stop telling the person (or lessen my gushing if they are friends, not strangers). I know I will continue complimenting freely in the future. I try to be better at stopping myself from being over-enthusiastic, but I can accept the consequences, because everyone deserves to know and receive praises.

No comments:

Post a Comment