Saturday 23 November 2013

Ulsa and Igor

I have forever dreamt of having my own small garden with beautiful flowers and foliage; a year-round vegetable and herb patch; and a variety of fruit trees for shade and delightful nourishments. I imagined birds tweeting and chirping and a soft sound of water hinting at a distant.

I grew up in a space-starved concrete jungle and care for non-human living things was never, or at least forgettably, discussed. As exposure broadened, I learnt to appreciate and loooove earth and nature freely. They were both indulgent and precious; relaxing and rejuvenating.

I tried to capture this dream in miniature a few times in my temporary homes. Experimented before my real setting. Or fed my soul with enough to tame the hunger to realise the dream.

Not having a place of my own (yet, and by choice), I satisfied my wish for shady trees and greenery by going to parks regularly. I tried potted lemon and lime trees before. Even bonsai trees and bamboo plants. Though all of them were pretty to own, I preferred them outdoors and free; where, sometimes, the birds and running water are.

While living overseas, I loved it when I had potted orchids of various colours, with draping rounded leaves. For years my mood always softened each time I gazed upon each beauty. Before then, I believed I could not grow and keep healthy any plant nor bamboo(!!). I accepted my fate to be a "black-thumbed" gardener, having failed all attempts. I thought when I purchased my first orchid plant our time together would be short-lived. That our relationship would consist of myself consuming only its beauty for as long as I could take from it, then discard its wilted remains. But the flowers kept blooming, and the fanning leaves stayed green!! My housemates and I bought more and placed them around the house. I watered the plants so it became an unstated expected role, which I did not mind. It was nice to feel like I produced and maintained something of beauty for everyone to enjoy. 

I hope to recreate those moments again here soon. Three years ago I decided not to do it yet because I thought I could not settle and plant roots. But time with opportunities, to catch-up or balance life; to finish off responsibilities; and to pursue pleasurable pursuits, satisfyingly calmed me down. I now think I should settle, and it will not be a waste of time, temporary or not. Instead of missing out, pulling this dream closer into reality now, away from the future where other dreams are kept.... A mind-shift to produce much more into life/lives, instead of mostly consuming... (Thoughts on comparing life and plants went a bit deep here, ack...). In plant-speak, regardless of whether I leave or not, the crops/fruits/beauty produced by those plants will still be shared for consumption to others.

The seed of this craving and idea grew this month. Or began two months ago, when I purchased this tulip plant as a housewarming gift :-).

I was surrounded by potted plants, herbs and flowers at the market. I wanted to bring home at least five of them, to plant and grow them together, around my imagined "nook" in my cramped living space. My little retreat, my solace. An opposite reaction to my constant downsizing!

I'm still trying to figure out all the details on how this shift would work in my current and medium-term situations. I am fully aware because of my downsizing where I currently am is not a suitable location for building my "nook nest". But I am (have to be) patient.

I also knew that while "waiting", I could work on learning more about the plants that will be in my garden, specifically the fruit plants and herbs. Tomatoes are one of the main ones I really wanted to have. So, I attended a free tomato-growing class, along with my wounded pride that I failed thrice in the past. The last kill was in 2011, when a colleague gave me a sturdy, older and stronger plant that was "guaranteed to grow as long as watered and kept under the sun". I did as I was told, but the plant did not flower and turned brown.

I learnt so much! I was glad. But I ended up with a free plant (plus another given by an attendee who was only interested in the class as he already planted growing tomatoes in his garden). 

Meet Ulsa and Igor. Yes, I decided to name them. No, I'm not ready to have them yet!! I have space to keep them, even in company of a herb or two, but I have none of the stuff I need to take care of them like dirt, or a pot. I imagined starting with orchids! I imagined setting up a raised-up rectangular vegetable herb patch (next year) first!! Not in ad-hoc pots!!  I've had the green-twins for almost two weeks and I still have not transferred them to a bigger pot!! See below before and after shots.... :-(

Does anyone want to take them off me...!!??! Ack! :-//






No comments:

Post a Comment