Tuesday 12 November 2013

Saartjie Baartman

I finally finished viewing the Sarah Baartman story. It was an immensely difficult movie to watch, but one that needed to be seen fully. I could not recall any other movie where I was heartbroken and cried for one person the whole time I watched. I thought stopping and watching the rest of the film another day would make me stronger, but nothing could toughen me enough for how the movie related her life, and her after-life.

Even if the movie was sensationalised; or that millions of people dealt with what they or we considered to be worst sufferings, pains, violence, genocide, wickedness, indignity and dehumanity.... No comparison or opinion of relativity would lessen the impact and grief I felt for her.

I hope to never see her in any museum. Never for science.

I am deeply deeply sorry Saartjie.

No comments:

Post a Comment