Saturday 7 April 2012

Deaths

Last month (and now), I received many reminders of how fleeting our lives are. Many people around me dealt with love ones passed away, love ones not eventuating, and love ones in the brink of their lives due to old age or sickness. There were unexpected (un)natural deaths of people my age, early to mid 30s; of children and below (planned and unplanned); and (un)expected death of elderlies from ages 50 up.

Four weeks ago, an incident made me reflect on how I’ve lived my life. I found I was okay with dying, and it was good to know. I would prefer to live of course(!!), there’s still so much to life! My few regrets were superficial (eg, not having climbed to the Summit of Mt Everest, etc) or they were in the hands of other people. I had taken as far as I could (regardless the reception eg by family, friends, etc) those situations where I knew if I didn't act I would carry the burdens of guilt or regrets. So really, I no longer have those regrets, as they were replaced by acceptance.

I felt peace and contentment, despite knowing I would have missed out on more/other experiences I deemed important, such as pregnancy and giving birth; seeing the love and smile across my husband’s face as he looked at my wrinkled face, mostly grey hair and toothless grin; holding hands as my man and I giggled and walked slowly due to our age while the world buzzed by; and seeing my grandchildren grow. I would be grateful to experience those too, if given the opportunity :-).

The sadness I felt were from my awareness of regrets (a few) people may feel from my passing away. They were wistful thoughts and assumptions, but I imagined actions/inactions that they possibly thought they had time to do but almost did not. Lost opportunities.

…. To my blog readers, don’t let fear, complacencyapathy or pride prevent you from making things right with people you (would likely) feel regret/s towards. Don’t mistake calling your fear of taking actions as wisdom. The time is now, for later is not guaranteed.

It is really that simple.

Practice love. Enjoy life and live to love :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment