Friday 1 June 2012

Selfish(?) Random Acts of Kindness

I love random acts of kindness. I love giving it, and I love receiving it. A lot of my amazing and memorable experiences came from receiving these acts of kindness from strangers - for example "Guardians" and "In Love In Napoli".

Usually the motivation behind giving kindness is because we see someone (or a group of people) in need of them. I don't think we make a point of helping to be praised or to "put on a show". Our actions are usually reactive or instinctive, with the intention to serve others without expecting anything in return. I heard some people hesitate to help strangers based on how the other person looks. Unless the person was acting aggressive or it was unsafe, I think I offer help without this selection.

This week however, I decided to help (take a family photo) only because it wasn't going to waste my time. I was rushing to work. I saw them looking for someone to take the photograph, as I was about to cross the road next to them. If the light was not flashing amber and there was still a chance for me to make the crossing, I wouldn't have stopped. But I was familiar with that specific intersection and knew the lights changed fast. I knew I would have to bolt to make it. So in that split second of processing the situation (I wasn't going to make it), only then (coz it was convenient) did I decide to help. I reasoned it was better use of my time, instead of just standing waiting for the lights to change in my favour.

The family was very grateful. They thought I was being very kind, taking the time to help them. Silently I was dealing with the reality that it wasn't as they perceived!!

Perfectly synchronised, I handed back the camera just as I heard the beeping sound letting me know it was safe to cross my side of the pedestrian. I walked away reflecting on that simple interaction.

I know it was still an act of kindness. But I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed with myself, because I focused on myself, on my needs, and on how it wouldn't delay my plans. It was a selfish random act of kindness.... I'm still grateful something good came out of my decision. But I hope in the future my decisions to help random strangers would always be lead by the obvious fact that they needed/required the help. :-//

No comments:

Post a Comment